How are Omegle and other video chat sites different from dating sites?
The pace of modern man’s life is only accelerating every year. Many tasks have been transferred online, people work, have fun, communicate on the Internet, get to know each other here, expand their social circle and find their true love.
In this regard, in recent years the use of online dating services has increased significantly. The very first service of its kind, Match, appeared over twenty years ago and since then their numbers have grown rapidly. One of the hottest dating sites today is Tinder, but platforms like Badoo, eharmony, OkCupid and others are following suit.
Why are dating sites so popular?
The popularity of these services is easy to explain. The main reason is the sheer lack of time to go out in person. By getting to know each other on the Internet, people can immediately dismiss inappropriate options and only know those with whom they have something in common. Meanwhile, when meeting in a club, restaurant, or on the street, many conversations turn out to be fruitless when it turns out that there is no spark or common interests with this date.
Another reason people choose online dating services is to prepare for a real date. Communication over the Internet relieves the traditional awkwardness, so on the first meeting it doesn’t seem like you are facing a complete stranger anymore, because you had the opportunity to know him.
The main competitor of online dating services is video chat sites. Many Internet users prefer them, because they believe that seeing their interlocutor face to face is much more convenient and pleasant than just chatting by text, and helps them to really get to know someone.
Video chat communication features
Video chat allows you to communicate live in real time, even from the comfort of your own home. All you need to start dating and start a conversation is a webcam, microphone, and the internet. After that, the main “spice” of video chats is the element of surprise. The system connects random users, so your chat partner could be the person next door or a stranger living on an entirely different continent.
The first such site was Omegle. This video chat site has been in operation since 2009, and before its appearance, the concept of “chat roulette” did not exist. For a long time Omegle was at the peak of its popularity – people were drawn to a whole new format of communication, as well as the site’s ease of use. Six months after its launch, more than two million people were using video chat every day.
However, Omegle’s functionality is quite limited: the system connects users to random chat partners – you can’t choose gender, age, or even search country. Also, this video site chat doesn’t have a mobile app which is a big downside for many.
Omegle’s main weakness was and remains moderation. It was the site that became the reason why video chat quickly started to lose popularity. There is no need to register on the site or confirm personal data, which has drawn hordes of bots, counterfeits, internet trolls and problematic users to video chat. Gradually, the dubious users outnumbered the honest ones, and the latter began to look for alternatives to Omegle.
Around this time, other developers, inspired by the success of Omegle, began to create alternatives. It should be noted that many of them have really surpassed the first video chat, both in terms of functionality and moderation quality. Let’s talk about them further.
Alternatives to Omegle
There are many alternatives that allow you to have a good time on the Internet, chatting with a stranger. The following video chat sites are popular among users:
- Chathub – this video chat site does not require registration, but unlike Omegle, the developers at Chathub have focused on security, video quality and connection speed with chat partners. This means that Chathub works great not only on computers but also on mobile devices.
- OmegleTV – this Omegle alternative is very popular among men, as the system only connects users with partners of the opposite sex. In addition, all the girls are registered on OmegleTV and go through mandatory identity verification. This means that there are no fakes and bots on OmegleTV which has a positive effect on the quality of the communication.
- Dirtyroulette – a popular video chat site among those who like to discuss adult topics. There is a lot of explicit content and there are no restrictions: you can openly meet people of non-traditional sexual orientations, have virtual sex, etc.
- Bazoocam – this Omegle clone has implemented a nearby people finder feature, which is important for users interested in real meetings. Other cool video chat features include video streaming and built-in mini-games.
- Shagle – a popular Omegle alternative that operates in over 70 countries around the world. This video chat site has a modern interface and geographic and gender filters are available. Shagle has another interesting feature: the ability to offer virtual gifts.
- Monkey.cool – a video chat application particularly popular with young people, which is not surprising since it was created by teenagers. On your first visit you have to fill in your gender, and whenever you want you can start a broadcast with a friend, just by sharing a link with them. Among the features of Monkey.cool is the ability to customize your profile with audio and emoticons.
Dating sites and video chat sites allow you to significantly expand your social circle without even leaving your home. You can look for simply interesting chat partners, companions to go to the movies or for walks, friends and even your soul mate.
So which Omegle analogue to choose?
There is no perfect answer to which is better – a video chat or a dating site. These platforms have their pros and cons, and the choice is always yours. If you are interested in high quality communication, we advise you to consider paid services. Usually moderation is better and the number of good users is always higher. For example, omegletv.chat gives you comfortable, secure, and pleasant communication, but the service is chargeable (although there is a convenient free trial period). For those who don’t want to pay too much, we recommend OmeTV and Shagle video chats. Their developers have done their best to make communication as comfortable and pleasant as possible. But in terms of functionality, security, and convenience, they still lose out to their paid counterparts.
One more thing: don’t limit yourself to just one site, because the more services you use, the more likely you are to have a successful friendship.